Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Elementary, Dear Watson


Sherlock Holmes
I saw this movie at it's opening, with the high hopes that it would meet the standards of it's over publicized coming. However, in case anyone hasn't noticed, the film quickly faded away from the theaters and our interest. Why? I think there are a few good reasons. One: This new generation only knows the world renown figure of Holmes by name and silly cartoons, so this portrayal was unknown and unappreciated. Two: When we think Sherlock, we think great mystery, not fabled mysticism, when in fact the original stories of the detective were nothing but supernatural based capers, making this movie closer to the original stories than most others we have seen. Thirdly: The film was advertised as a highly intense action (which it was) so when we, the viewers, were hit with the thick plot line that called for attention to detail, we found ourselves a little disheartened. Lastly: the time; this movie was on the verge of being excruciatingly long and I for one have limits on my attention span.
All in all, I thought it was worth the watching and I have a feeling that now that I know what to expect, I will have a far greater appreciation for my second viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment